GI Bill Information (Post 9/11 and Montgomery GI Bill)

Use The Frontlines Guide to be connected directly with the VA's GI Bill policies, application and procedures. Suggested steps:

1) Decide which GI Bill works best for you

2) Submit your paperwork online to get your benefits started or transferred

3) Monitor your progress in school, and research other options to assist in funding your educational goals. Make the most of your GI Bill Benefits by applying for scholarships and to Yellow Ribbon Schools


GI Bill General Information


Depending on your individual circumstances, one of these programs may give you better benefits than the others. While you are the only person who can choose which program meets your needs, use this link to compare the different education programs and decide which is best for you.


GI Bill Post 9/11


The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.


Transfer Of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits To Dependents (TEB)


For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting August 1, 2009.